Changing Direction and Niching Down Generates 400 New Subscribers | EP 96Nov 16, 2022
I’m so excited to have Launch Your Box member Julie Harkin of the Pilot Wives Club on the podcast! Julie is an experienced, successful subscription box owner who decided to find out if something I say all the time is true, “The riches are in the niches.”
Pilot Wives Club wasn’t Julie’s first subscription box. She had a tea towel subscription and 100 subscribers. The subscription was successful - her subscribers loved their towels (they are adorable!) and it was generating recurring revenue. But, it wasn’t growing. It seemed stuck at that 100-subscriber mark. Julie kept thinking about what I often say inside Launch Your Box. The riches are in the niches. Julie realized that as a pilot's wife, she was part of a specific niche. She wondered if that niche might be the answer.
Julie had started a Facebook Group for pilot wives nine years ago. The purpose of the group was simply to offer support and friendship. Over the years, she has served this group and built a community of more than 6,000 members. It was this group Julie decided to curate a subscription box for. She surveyed them and found the interest was there!
Julie launched and sold out her initial 100 spots very quickly. She grew organically for several months before deciding to do a “real launch,” following the process I teach inside Launch Your Box. The result? 140 new subscribers in less than 5 days, bringing her to just under 400 total subscribers!
By niching down and serving people whose needs and wants she understands, Julie has been able to quadruple the subscriber count of her tea towel subscription - in only nine months!
Julie did so many things right in order to get to this level of success so quickly!
- She niched down, choosing a niche she deeply understood and was passionate about serving.
- She surveyed her ICA before she started planning her box.
- After initial success and organic, controlled growth, she planned a “real” launch, showed up, and followed the plan.
Join me for this episode as Julie shares more about what happened when she decided to find out if the riches really are in the niches.
Find and follow Julie:
Learn from me:
- Subscription Box Blueprint eBook: This $10 ebook covers logistics from product selection to packaging to shipping. Plus a 90-day launch plan and bonus ‘Instant Scripts’ for your social media.
- Launch Your Box: My complete training program that walks you step by step through how to start, launch, and grow your subscription box business.
- Launch Your Box Podcast: I share tons of practical tips and strategies to help you start, launch, and grow your subscription box business. You’ll also hear from industry experts and current Launch Your Box members who are crushing it - get ready to get inspired!
Find me on social:
Are you ready for Launch Your Box? Our complete training program walks you step by step through how to start, launch, and grow your subscription box business. Join today!
Hear from Sarah each week!
Do you want weekly tips for starting, launching, and growing a subscription box? Subscribe to get our latest content by email.