How Do I Compete with Big Box Companies? | Episode 12Apr 09, 2021
Hey everybody! This week I’m going over a question that gets asked every time people start to think about launching their own subscription box: how do I compete against the big box companies?
I asked myself this same question when I started my box and thinking through it is what pushed me to finally start my box. Let’s dive in!
Quality over Quantity
Comparing yourself to a big box company is like staring into a black hole. They have the money and the people to handle thousands of orders from thousands of people. But that’s not what your box was about in the first place!
We’re in the business of creating an exclusive VIP experience for our audience. That’s what we’re good at, and that’s what makes us stand out.
"Comparison is the thief of dreams, so don’t give it that power." Sarah Williams
Think about McDonald's food compared to your favorite local restaurant: chances are there’s no comparison in the quality of food and experience in dining. Comparing yourself to a big company is a losing game, so stop doing it.
If you need to, unfollow those accounts that make you feel less than because we’re in the business of building real-life connections that they don’t have. Comparison is the thief of dreams, so don’t give it that power.
Get in the Right Mindset
- Stop Comparing Yourself. Opportunity is out there for your specialty box. Don’t let those other accounts stifle your spirit; if you need to, unfollow/hide/block those accounts that make you feel less than
- Create an Experience for Your Audience. Your personal connection with your audience is your greatest asset. Remember, they’ll tell you what they want so you can give them that VIP experience.
- Create Goals for yourself to remind you why you started. Crunch the numbers and figure out how many boxes you would need to send out to even out your expenses. Let your personal goals for your business remind you why you started in the first place.
Beginnings can be messy, but that’s ok! Every great thing has to start somewhere. The right time to start is right now. Get your mindset right and you’re on your way, one box at a time.
Read more about what I think about Competing with Big Subscription Box Companies HERE
And as always, remember to subscribe to the podcast on your favorite podcast provider, as well as leave a 5-star rating and a review!
Learn from me:
- Subscription Box Blueprint eBook: This $10 ebook covers logistics from product selection to packaging to shipping. Plus a 90-day launch plan and bonus ‘Instant Scripts’ for your social media.
- Launch Your Box: My complete training program that walks you step by step through how to start, launch, and grow your subscription box business.
Find me on social:
JOIN SARAH'S NEWSLETTER
Learn more about how to start and grow your own subscription box business! Subscribe to get our latest content by email.