Protecting Your Energy | Episode 18May 22, 2021
When running your own business, it’s a guarantee that you’re going to get cancellations and negative feedback. Unfortunately, you can’t please all of the people all of the time, and some of those people are only more than willing to let you know how much they didn’t like your product, your service, or whatever might be on their mind at that moment.
Managing these kinds of customer service issues can get inside your brain and make you doubt yourself and your business, sapping away the mental energy that you need to run your business successfully.
Looking for my Retention Rate Calculator? Find it and more tips for navigating cancellation HERE.
Managing Cancellations and Negative Feedback
As business owners, it’s up to us to deal with things like cancellations and negative feedback professionally as well as take care of ourselves and our mental well-being. Here are some tips to managing negative feedback and protecting your energy to keep you positive:
- Give it to Someone Else. If you’re at the point in your business where you have a VA or assistant you can delegate responses to, do so. Putting a buffer between yourself and those kinds of customer service issues can help keep it impersonal but professional.
- Reset Yourself. If you feel that negativity getting to you mentally, step away from it physically. Take a walk, run a bath, do something that helps you disconnect from the stress of work. Sometimes we just need a moment away for our brain to reset and get us back to our best self.
- Remember: It’s Not About You, It’s About Them. You never know what a person is dealing with, especially in these situations. They might feel they need to cancel because of any number of reasons, and for those negative comments that get sent your way, you might just be an easy target for them to vent frustration that they otherwise feel they can’t express. Use that perspective to try not to take these issues personally.
- Keep Reminders of Positive Feedback Visible. Remember, for every negative review there are multiple satisfied customers who are excited to see what’s next. Keep those positive reviews where you can see them to help remind you about what’s important: delivering a VIP experience your subscribers appreciate.
Cancellations and negative feedback are a fact of life as a business owner, but they don’t need to be something that you dread getting. They always feel like there are more than there actually are, so keep focused on your growth, because that’s what’s going to make you successful.
The reality is that if you are professional in your responses and positive in your outlook, there might be a good chance that those people might be return customers in the end.
Remember to subscribe to the podcast on your favorite podcast provider, as well as leave a 5-star rating and a review!
Learn from me:
- Subscription Box Blueprint eBook: This $10 ebook covers logistics from product selection to packaging to shipping. Plus a 90-day launch plan and bonus ‘Instant Scripts’ for your social media.
- Launch Your Box: My complete training program that walks you step by step through how to start, launch, and grow your subscription box business.
Find me on social:
JOIN SARAH'S NEWSLETTER
Learn more about how to start and grow your own subscription box business! Subscribe to get our latest content by email.