Build an Audience with a Niche Specific Podcast | Episode 85Aug 31, 2022
“If you’ve been thinking about starting a podcast, now is the perfect time.” - Sarah Heeter.
My podcast editor, Sarah Heeter, joined me for today’s episode to talk about all things podcast. We talked about the benefits of podcasting and why starting a niche-specific podcast could be a valuable part of your audience-building strategy. Sarah knows a LOT about podcasts. After all, she helped me start this podcast and grow it to more than 200,000 downloads in 18 months and a ranking in the top 1.5% of podcasts globally. She’s also a member of Launch Your Box.
If you’re wondering if podcasts can be a valuable part of an audience-building strategy for subscription box owners, the answer is yes! I mentioned I have more than 200,000 episode downloads in only 18 months. Compare that to my social media audience. It has taken me years to grow my Facebook and IG followers to a combined 20,000. And if you’re wondering if there’s room for another podcast - for your podcast - the answer is also yes. Studies show more than half of people over 12 listen to podcasts and, on average, each listens to 7 podcasts!
There are several benefits to podcasts when it comes to connecting with your audience.
- Podcasts meet people where they are. They lend themselves to being interrupted - it’s easy to stop a podcast when needed and get right back to where you left off.
- Podcasts allow listeners to multitask. They listen while driving, cleaning, exercising, and more.
- A podcast mimics the intimacy of a phone call - you’re talking to your audience for 25-40 minutes per week.
- Unlike social media posts, reels, and videos, podcast episodes live forever!
It can be daunting to think about what you would talk to your audience about each week. Many people worry they’ll run out of things to say. If you’re serving your niche, and know your audience well, that shouldn’t be a problem.
Sarah suggests brainstorming a list of possible topics by asking yourself:
- What keeps my ideal customer up at night?
- What answers are they searching for on Google?
- What is their support system like?
- What is their value system?
- What are their highest priorities?
Use what you learned about your ideal customer in my FREE 6 in 60 Workshop to help you get started.
Join me for this episode as Sarah shares so much knowledge about why subscription box owners should consider starting a podcast, how to decide what to talk about, and why it’s very possible to DIY your podcast.
Find and follow Sarah Heeter:
Join me in all the places:
Hear from Sarah each week!
Do you want weekly tips for starting, launching, and growing a subscription box? Subscribe to get our latest content by email.